Ceemet has been following closely the ongoing work concerning a review of the electromagnetic fields (EMF) Directive, in order to make it proportionate and workable. Whereas some progress has been achieved over the last few months, the Metal, Engineering and Technology-based (MET) industry employers consider that there is still room for improvement in the body of the Directive as well as in the exposure limitation system as defined in the annexes.
PDF - 339 K
Regarding the exposure limitation systems defined in the annexes, the Industry Expert Group (IEG) has identified a number of technical issues that should be addressed including notably:
- Excessive conservatism in the Action Levels for PNS (peripheral nervous system);
- The status of Action Levels needs to be clarified and coherent throughout the Directive;
- Practicality of the derogation for specific sectors and specific equipment;
- Practical Guidance is pivotal for a correct implementation of the Directive;
- More time is needed to prepare for the implementation of the Directive.